Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jambo rafikis!

Well, I arrived and if you are keeping up with my schedule closely you will also notice that I am on my 3rd day of travel in Kenya.  This is the first time I have had the opportunity to blog because internet access here is minimal.  I have sat down to eat a late lunch at the Java House which seems a bit out of place from the orphanage in Kawangware slum I volunteered in today.  There is so much to say I don't even know where to begin!  Upon arrival I was greeted by my taxi driver who drove me to Karen, the town that I will be staying in.  Nairobi was dark upon arrival and rainy.  When I stepped off of the plane I couldn't believe that I actually traveled across the world all by myself.  It actually hit me that I am here...alone! But God really provided and whenever I had a feeling of intimidation I had someone kind to speak with.  Speaking of providing, I forgot to mention on my flight over I had the friendliest girl sit next to me on the flight and by coincidence she was also traveling to Kenya for a mission trip with a group called Village Care.  We had a lot to talk about and it took my mind off of the difficult goodbye from family at the airport.

If I sound like I am all over the place, it is because I am! I am trying to type as fast as I can before I have to catch the next matatu (bus) home!  I must digress though and give a shout out to my sister who came up with the most brilliant idea to write a note to me each day that I was in Kenya! My mom tagged along with the idea and I have a thought for each day!  Some are facts, scripture verses, and just sweet notes to remind me that the reason I might feel homesick is for a certain reason---I am so loved!

So to sum things up quickly: I went to an elephant orphanage, giraffe center, and tribal dance show the other day where I kissed a giraffe and learned really neat facts about elephants like how they are pregnant for 22 months...girls, count your lucky stars!!  I have eaten yummy things with no trouble so far, I am counting my fingers! Tomorrow I leave for safari with my friend I made Jenny and then when I return I will begin my volunteering in Watamu!

Today I volunteered in an orphanage called St. Dorkas.  When asked where the name came from the head mistress stated it was from Acts in the bible.  Dorkas means to give with all of your heart to God, and that is what she and the others are doing.  I could literally write an entire blog tributed to Justina (the lady running the orphanage) and her blind faith!  I had elephant tears in my eyes as I saw how she had done so much with what little she had been given.  

I wish I could write more, but hopefully I will be able to soon!

Nakupenda (I love you),

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. i have chills and butterflies in my stomach reading this. i can feel your excitement. i remember that feeling of being both exhilarated and terrified of everything happening the first few days. i am so happy you get to do this. i can't believe you've already been to the elephant orphanage, the giraffe center and the bomas! it took me a month to get there. wasn't it all really great though? i hope you got some great pictures with the giraffes. and the baby elephants.

    so happy for you kelly. i'm also excited we'll be getting back around the same time. i can't wait to see you after this amazing trip.

    you're right... you are very loved. not just by family members. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister had the same idea about the cards, and my whole family wrote me a new one for each day I was there! Crazy! Love you tons & wish I was still there with you. Hope you are enjoying your safari!

    ReplyDelete