Sunday, May 22, 2011

keeping up with kenya

haven't posted in several days- i know everyone is just waiting anxiously by their computer for my updates, so my apologies for withdrawal but have no fear, relief is here :) no sarcasm in that comment...none at all!  before beginning i have to tell you about the sermon at new hope today. not the whole thing, just a nugget. i feel led to share this because it relates to my kenya journey in a significant way.  a story was told about a father, daughter, and a bouncy ball. for respect to everyone's short attention spans, i will keep this story as brief and succinct as possible.  

the story begins with the little girl finding a bouncy ball, however because she is afraid she will lose it, she keeps it in her pocket.  her father suggests they go outside and play with this new treasure, however the little girl is hesitant in being so bold to remove it from her pocket, from her control.  the father then explains that this ball is meant to be bounced, it is meant to be used and enjoyed.  she finally released the ball to his hands and was amazed when he launched it in the air, watching every bounce, with each time her chanting "do it again daddy." 

in the same way, my life parallels this story.  this week was the first week kenya has actually become real to me- i have received vaccinations, filled out my application for a visa, bought a camera, researched travel tips.  admittedly, i got a little scared.  the "what if's" began to flood my mind and i caught myself wanting to keep that bouncy ball in my back pocket.  makes me think: how much of my life, of  adventure has been robbed by my own doing?  my attempts to keep life within my grips, from allowing my life to be surrendered wholeheartedly to all the possibilities trusting with full faith that my Father is there to catch me, keep me protect and also use me to my full potential?  gives me peace.  makes me excited. the most fun and most memorable moments in my life were when i let myself go to enjoy what life had to offer.  i think i just gave myself an assignment for this trip and beyond... let go, and embrace the goodness and adventure that awaits.

1 comment:

  1. awesome bouncy ball reference :) you are such a blessing to me! I love you!

    ReplyDelete